We want to make your trip as enjoyable as possible, please do not hesitate
to contact us with any additional questions you may have.
SUGGESTED FLY FISHING & HUNTING GEAR LIST
- Fly fishing rod and reel outfit.
- Waders, wading boots, and other personal fishing gear.
- Rain jacket, fully waterproof.
- Clothing, fishing and lodge variety.
- Hat, wide-brimmed, for sun and eye protection.
- Polarized sunglasses.
- Day pack or fanny pack
- Sunscreen, SPF 20 or higher.
- Insect repellant.
- Personal medical supplies and prescriptions
- Personal hygiene supplies-toothbrush, shaving kit, etc.
- Spare corrective eyewear, glasses, or contacts.
- Books and other reading materials.
- Compact binoculars.
- Flash light or head lamp with extra batteries.
NON-FISHING ATTIRE: Linehan Outfitting Company lodge and cabin settings are very casual and no special attire is necessary. Blue jeans, khakis, shorts, casual shirts, fishing shirts are all common.
OUTERGARMENTS: Waterproof rain jacket, preferable lightweight and packable. Always carry this with you! Fishing specific Gortex or similar products are best. Layer for changing weather conditions. We recommend quick-drying synthetic materials such as polyester, nylon, etc. Even though you may be visiting in summer it’s always a good idea to include a good fleece jacket or similar wind-blocking product. Long-sleeved, quick drying fishing shirts, pants and shorts. Gloves and stocking cap just in case.
UNDERGARMENTS: Long underwear, top and bottom, at least one pair. Mid-weight, quick drying is most versatile. For cold weather and water, use heavy weight underwear or fleece garments under breathable waders.
FOOTWEAR: Sandals for float fishing. Neoprene booties or socks. Non-cotton socks. Smart wool or synthetic fleece is best.
FLY FISHING CHECKLIST
RODS AND REELS
- 8.5 or 9-foot rod with 5 or 6 weight floating line is most appropriate and versatile.
- 3-4 weight rod for small streams.
- 5-6 weight rod for bigger rivers.
- Matching reels and lines.
- Sinking tip line.
LEADERS AND TIPPETS
- 9-12 foot tapered leaders work throughout season.
- Spools of 3x,4x,5x,6x tippet material
- Most versatile leader is 9-foot 4x.
WADERS AND WADING BOOTS
- Lightweight/breathable waders with layers underneath.
- Felt soled wading boots
OTHER STANDARD GEAR
- Fishing vest, hip-chest pack or other product to hold gear.
- Fly floatant, paste or powder.
- Optional-net and wading staff.
Montana License Information
Montana fishing licenses can be bought very easily at local sporting good stores and other locations around the state and more hunting and fishing information is always available at www.fwp.state.mt.us.
The three major airports servicing northwest Montana are Spokane, Washington, Kalispell, Montana, and Missoula, Montana. Below you’ll find directions and driving time to our locations.
Keep in mind that our log cabins are located in Yaak, Montana, our Kootenai River House is located in Libby, Montana and our Anglers Hut is located in Libby, Montana. However, our mailing address is Troy, Montana but we have no business location in Troy, Montana.
If you are heading to our Yaak log cabins, be certain to get your groceries before you head for the Yaak. That means either Bonners Ferry, Idaho, Troy or Libby, Montana depending on which direction you’re traveling.